Austin, TX :
November 16 - 18

Subject: Realistic Still Life
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Pastel Question

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Pastel Question

Postby Rob Bristow » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi Gang.

For those who know me some would have seen I have recently started up with drawings again
I am already into my second commission which is nice.

Anyway I have seen some outstanding pastel work on Facebook etc which are unbelievable
so for those who know how pastels work ? is there any books or tutorials which you would recommend
trust me I know nothing about colour and have steered away from the unknown medium for years despite
have pastel pencils. Whatever I do looks weak and undefined.

I only really want to draw Heathcliffe he is being sent away to retirement has the landowner of our farm have sold up
to property developers so from May he will sent away. The problem being the developers have also purchased three other farms
so hundreds of new houses and businesses can be built. Its going to be a war I believe !!.

Cheers Rob

Site Admin

Re: Pastel Question

Postby Mike Sibley » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Good to hear you're back drawing, Rob! I don't know much about pastels, although Karen Hargett will -and she has three tutorials on her website:
http://www.karenhargettfineart.com/tutorials.htm

There's Colin Bradley, who I know nothing about:
https://www.colinbradleyart.com/home/

And Brian Duey:
http://www.dueysdrawings.com/pastel_tutorial.html

But, I think YouTube might be a good place to begin.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Re: Pastel Question

Postby Bev » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi Rob, good to see you back.

I have done pastels on and off for years but I am self taught so cant recommend any books. But YouTube is a great source of tutorials.

A couple of recommendations: Try and use good quality branded name pastels, they don't have to be the most expensive, but some of the cheap varieties are low in pigments, or are hard and scratchy. Unison and Schminke are probably the best, but are also the most expensive, although having said that I have some Jaxcell pastel sticks, cheap student grade and they are really nice to use.
Paper is also important I love sanded papers, Fisher 400 is my very favourite but you could also try Uart which have 3 different grades to choose from as well as a dark grey/black. You wont need to fix your work if you use sanded papers as they really do hold onto the pastel, just be very careful if you use your fingers to blend, you can loose the skin if you are too enthusiastic. Jackson's Art recently had a sample pack on offer, 7 different quarter sheets of sanded varieties and 6 non sanded quarter sheets. Definitely worth getting if they are still selling them, then you can try out the different brands without having to buy pads or multiple sheets. Also Jackson's do a reasonable soft pastel stick at a good price. As for pencils, Faber Castell Pits are quite hard, great for detail, Derwent's are soft and Carb Othello are in between. You will probably find you never have enough colours so if you take to them be prepared!!!!! :D

Hope this helps Rob, don't worry too much about working in colour, don't overthink it, it's still all about tone, just go for it! Good luck!
Bev

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE