November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

The Sacrifice Finished

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

The Sacrifice Finished

Postby Bob1298 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:11 pm

The Sacrafice R Finish.jpg 3.jpg
This is 16" X 20" on Strathmore 500 Plate. Steadtler clutch 4H - 6B, No real plan on this one, drawing it as I go along. As always comments and critique appreciated.
Attachments
The Sacrifice R.jpg

Re: The Sacrifice WIP

Postby Laurene » Fri May 19, 2017 1:04 am

Hi Bob,
Although I'm not a religious person, I find your composition very thought provoking. The contrast between the crown of thorns and the surrounding white halo effect pulls the eye directly to that area. I'm looking forward to seeing the next step.

Postby Bob1298 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Laurene, thank you for your input...I try with all my work to do that which has special meaning to me and that which has impacted my life. This has had the most significance of all and continues, I would be empty without it. Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing the next step.

Postby Bob1298 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 pm

As I work I tend to jump around as thoughts move me. Working this way can be a lot of fun as it's a little like life you never know what's coming next. Started the Rocks as they are important to story that is developing. Never really knew rocks could be so uncooperative, struggled with these. Suggestions, critique and or comments are always appreciated and welcome
Attachments
The Sacrafice WIP R.jpg

Postby Laurene » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:36 pm

The rocks are a surprise! I wasn't expecting that. They're certainly bold and anchor the piece solidly. Will keep following to see where the story leads!

Postby Bob1298 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Thank you Laurene, always appreciate your comments, still working on the rocks. Thoughts come to mind as I go along only problem is sometimes they are hindsight. I guess the faster I go the behinder I get. I have learned much from your work here and on your website. I love how you push the blacks.

Postby Laurene » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 am

Bob1298 wrote: I guess the faster I go the behinder I get.

Boy, do I know that feeling! :lol: I guess it's all part of the process! Looks to me like you're pushing those darks just fine!

Postby Bob1298 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Been working on the stones and starting to bring up some of the dark's in the clouds...also added the dove. As usual letting the drawing lead the way...thank the Lord for Blue Tack (and Mike of course) Any comments positive or negative, welcome. It's a learning process.
Attachments
The Sacrafice 6-13.jpg 2r.jpg

Postby Laurene » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Wow, the dove changes the composition completely! Now the eye has a path to follow from the crown of thorns to the chalice (I'm guessing??). I'm amazed that you were able to lift enough graphite to get the dove so white. With or without blu-tack, it must have taken a lot of careful lifting not to damage the paper!

Postby Bob1298 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Laurene, can't thank you enough for the critique. Yes it does change the composition...I teach a class (senior citizens) once a week, composition was one of the main topics last week. As I have mentioned in the past I use Strathmore 500 plate (smooth) as I have found it will take a lot of abuse. When I use Blu-tack I brake off a piece about the size of my thumb, as I press it in the tooth I give it a little twist, this seems to really help in removing the graphite. Also I changed the value of the clouds around the Dove (and have changed it more since the last post) this helps the illusion of it being white.
Thank you again, It seems of late you are the only one that is willing to post critique, that is a shame the more critique, comment, and or opinion the higher the learning curve for everyone. YOU ARE APPRECIATED!!!

Postby Laurene » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 pm

You're very kind Bob. :) I would have loved to attend your class. Composition is always such a challenge!!

I'm starting to blog (very early stages still!) and my plan is to discuss composition considerations in some of my past drawings. Having to think about what I did and why is proving to be a very helpful exercise.

Re: The Sacrifice WIP Update

Postby Bob1298 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 pm

The story continues, photo lighter than art work. Still a lot of work to do. Inspiration....wow how many hours I spent looking at a blank white page, Just searching mind and matter for something meaningful to put on that blank paper.

INSPIRATION here (as you have already figured out) The Bible! I have attempted to show the scriptures artistically.

The Crucifixion
The Resurrection
The 23rd Psalm
The Bible itself
The Great "I Am"
The Cup (ah to be finished)
The Dove

The Bible as Inspiration....You Betcha!
Attachments
The Sacrafice 7-4R.jpg a.jpg

Postby Laurene » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:14 am

The Bible has been a great source of inspiration for artists for almost 2000 years so I'd say you're in very good company Bob!!

I see the 3 areas of greatest contrast as being the mouth of the cup, the halo surrounding the crown of thorns and the dove - at least those are the areas pulling my eyes right now. Will you be keeping these and if so, I wonder what you have in mind for the bottom right hand corner???

Postby Bob1298 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 am

Hi Laurene, many thanks for the comment. Yes plan on keeping those areas but mouth of cup is in for a big change. There will also be a change to the crown that will hopefully continue to keep focus on them. But as to the lower right I have mixed emotions about. Had thought about adding more to it but am afraid it would make drawing to busy. Also I designed clouds to be a funnel shape and brighter in the middle as a road between the crown and cup. Not sure it is working. May keep lower right with clouds. As always thank you.

PS. If anyone has not checked out Laurene's blog would highly recommend you do. Her video presentations are beautifully done. And you can also pick up information and tips for your own work...Thanks Laurene

Re: The Sacrifice WIP Update

Postby Bob1298 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Again, photo...(while balancing on stepladder) :o

Well the story goes on. As mentioned no plan just let it happen.

Some of my goals were...

1. Do a drawing with my only reference from reading the story.
2. That the art work incorporate both fantasy and realism
3. And to tell the story with the drawing.

I leave it up to you....??????
Attachments
The Sacrafice 5r.jpg

Next

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING