November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

WELCOME TO THE CAFE!

Fetch a coffee, pull up a comfy chair and take a break while you enjoy chatting to your fellow artists. This is the area for discussing those topics that may not be appropriate in the other forums.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Site Admin

WELCOME TO THE CAFE!

Postby Mike Sibley » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Welcome to the Café! Relax, unwind and enjoy the banter.

This is our informal area for posting anything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums. So pull a comfy chair up to a table and meet new artist friends.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Re: WELCOME TO THE CAFE!

Postby maryherb » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks Mike, I'll be right with you after I finish my mug of tea and big slice of cake ;)

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm

CAKE!!! I knew there was something missing :oops: I LOVE cake - must get a supply in for everyone in the cafe. I'll contact Catering right now :D
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby StephenC » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Well I have a good book on the way; Mikes Line to Life. JD's will have to wait a while. A friend has his so that will do for now. I snagged some Mellotex as well. And some Blu-Tack white version here state side. Now if the double vision gives me a break I will work up my hummingbird composition in the next couple days and what until I have read the good book, before fleshing it out. Fun Stuff.

I listened to Mikes AMA interview today and a couple points hit home with me. Particularly getting lost in the minutia of technique, not stepping back often enough to see the big picture, market etc. Of course I am half blind and crazy so I guess I am doing alright. Having fun anyhow.

StephenC

Postby LonnyClouser » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 pm

StephenC -

Hey - I'm half blind and crazy too - in addition to being spatially challenged. Was attempting a critique on a drawing and I'm holding up my hands and turning around in my chair so I can make sure I'm talking about the correct side of the drawing - it really is so confusing, it's my left, but it's the drawings' right side, right?? I need more coffee ...

Lonny

Postby StephenC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:33 am

Yea. We all have our kinks, I know I have mine. One of my lady friends is always borrowing money and every time she writes the check wrong do to a heap of, dyslexia.

I would think drawing nature such as trees, vines, bark etc, would be preferred subjects with spatial difficulties, as they are asymmetrical?

I have heaps of double vision that changes all the time as it is caused inside the brain not the synchronization of my eye balls. With an eye patch I still have ghost images especially if the subject is bright. But all in all, I am pretty good at making due with what I have. And sometimes its as clear as a bell. The manic-depression doesn't go away though, high or low its a pain in the rump. Even today I sent off several emails and I am sure I will regret at least one of them. I just can't shut up sometimes.

Postby StephenC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 am

OK you creative types, I expect you have lots of interesting and even sometimes peculiar recipes.

Here is one of my favorites for the bread machine. I don't like cooking but once you find the balance of the common ingredients it is very fun to throw in a little something different and end up with a new bread to eat or share. I currently make six loaves a month for a few friends that let me know when I am getting behind on that, Hickory Ash, Pie Spice, Beer Bread, and Licorice bread seems to be the hits. Perhaps I'll draw a loaf.

Spaghetti Bread

This is one my own creation so I accept all blame for any dissatisfaction. But darn if it doesn't go fast around my house. This isn't your peanut butter type bread, its a savory type, good with chili, spaghetti, or goulash, or by its self. To my way of thinking if a bread isn't tasty enough to eat by its self with a glass of water as a snack, then it isn't worth making. Although just about anything you make in your oven or bread machine is less expensive and healthier than most store bought breads.

1 cup Newmans's Own Sockarooni Spaghetti Sauce
1 cups Water, City
1 egg Egg, whole
1/4 cup Milk, dry, nonfat
1/4 cup ITALIAN poultry seasoning, Lightly PACKED.
1 1/2 teaspoon Super-fine balck pepper
0 teaspoon garlic, powdered
3 tablespoons corn oil
3 tablespoons Agave Light Nectar
2 teaspoon Redmond Real Salt, fine
3/4 cup Sucralose
4 3/4 cups Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast

Feel free to use Morton salt etc if you have to (yuck!) Redmond Real-Salt can be found in the salt or health foods isle of larger grocers and on Amazon, it is just ancient see salt mined from under a mountain in Utah USA. But it taste GOOD. So less is necessarily on your popcorn etc.

If you use an inferior spaghetti sauce, (Newman's is a common USA brand in the USA that donates profits to charity.) substitute 1/2 of the water with more sauce.

And for the sake of all that is wholesome don't buy those packets of yeast at the grocers, they are highway robbery! Here is Instant Yeast at a reasonable price. Pour some up in an old vitamin bottle etc and keep that in the fridge for use, and then put the rest in a Zip-Lock bag, and throw it in the freezer. Mine is about 14 months old and as good as the day I bought it.

This is the Bread Machine I bought. Not expensive, quite, and does a great job. I did buy a 3 year warrenty through SquareTrade, I mean that thing works every day around here. One of my lady friends particularly likes my Apple Spice bread. She gets a couple loaves of something every month and I get hot cooked meals in return. Life is good. Anyhow, here you go.

Remember any yeast will need a sugar to work, molasses in this case. But any sugar would of worked. Too much garlic will kill the yeast. I am near sea level so if you are up high in the mountains of whatever country you likely know how to tweak your recipes for that need. The recipes that came with my bread machine, in the back of the manual work every time. But I tweak the recipes most every time too.

Here are my favorite bread machine recipe books, I usually look in a few books on a type of bread and average out the ingredients and spice it up to my liking.

300 best Bread Machine Recipes, by Donna Washburn & Heather Butt.
Bread Machine Magic - Revised Edition: 138 Exciting Recipes Created Especially for Use in All Types of Bread Machines.

And substitute what ever you like, its your bread after all. Have fun with it.

StephenC

Postby Athina500 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi I am new here to this site .I am from Greece and I drawing one year I attend lessons and I am amateur.Can you tell me please the basic to this site.

Return to The TDF CAFE